Eclipse and Tycho dependencies
Gunnar Bråding
2011-10-27 14:36:36 UTC
I am wondering about the integration of Tycho into Eclipse. I got the latest Tycho plugin, latest eclipse and M2E.
When having two eclipse-plugins, as projects in Eclipse, with dependencies;
A --> B
everything works fine. I can compile both from Eclipse with Run As->Maven Install, and from the command-line.

When I close project B in Eclipse, suddenly Eclipse reports unresolved source symbols errors in A, and the problem "Bundle 'B' cannot be resolved".

It still works fine with RunAs->Maven Install, and from the command-line, so maven does seem to know how to find the artifacts.

It seems something is not being done correctly in how the dependencies are resolved, and being propagated to eclipse,
or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers,
-- Gunnar
Igor Fedorenko
2011-10-27 14:40:46 UTC
This is not currently supported. PDE does not have extension points that
would allow m2e-tycho participate in project dependency resolution. And
even if PDE did have such extension points, running Tycho dependency
resolver inside Eclipse is far from trivial.

--
Regards,
Igor
Gunnar Bråding
2011-10-28 09:19:56 UTC
Ah. Ok.
Currently I am manually adding the repository jars to my build-path, just to be able to get Eclipse to resolve source references correctly.
This only leaves me with one error; The one about the bundle not being resolved.

Would it be possible to automate such a process, just to help the developer out?

Cheers,
-- Gunnar
Igor
Dahanne, Anthony
2011-10-28 17:39:48 UTC
You should rather use .target definitions http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.pde.doc.user/guide/tools/target_shared/new_target_wizard.htm

Once you set up a proper target platform definition, your eclipse workspace will be able to compile, and also, you can tell tycho to use this target definition http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Target_Platform

Anthony

On 11-10-27 10:36 AM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:

This is not currently supported. PDE does not have extension points that
would allow m2e-tycho participate in project dependency resolution. And
even if PDE did have such extension points, running Tycho dependency
resolver inside Eclipse is far from trivial.

--
Regards,
Igor

Le contenu de ce courriel s'adresse au destinataire seulement. Il contient de l'information pouvant être confidentielle. Vous ne devez ni le copier ni l'utiliser ni le divulguer à qui que ce soit à moins que vous soyez le destinataire ou une personne désignée autorisée. Si vous le receviez par erreur, veuillez nous aviser immédiatement et le détruire.

Oliver Pfau
2011-10-31 07:45:26 UTC
How do you solve it with target definitions for local builds and continous integration builds. In my case I can not exactly define the same pathes? Probably with environment variables/VM properties? Does this work or is there another solution?

[cid:***@01CC97A9.6FADF380]

Igor
Dahanne, Anthony
2011-10-31 14:01:27 UTC
Hello Oliver,
You should work with a target definition based on p2 repositories and features (and eventually bundles, but the Eclipse UI won' t let you add bundles, you'll have to edit the target definition in "raw" mode)
A simple example is online :
https://github.com/eclipse/tycho/tree/master/tycho-demo/itp04-rcp

in particular,
https://github.com/eclipse/tycho/blob/master/tycho-demo/itp04-rcp/target-definition/helios.target

Regards,
Anthony

Oliver Pfau
2011-10-31 15:19:12 UTC
Hi,

I do not understand exactly how to define a self created p2 repository in a generic way to the .target file. For a repository location with url no problem, this will work local and on the build system, but probably I have to store my self created p2 repository on a server I think. Then the url is correct for local and build system build.
What is the benefit of using features?

Dahanne, Anthony
2011-10-31 15:29:38 UTC
Post by Oliver Pfau
I do not understand exactly how to define a self created p2 repository in a generic way to the .target
file. For a repository location with url no problem, this will work local and on the build system, but
probably I have to store my self created p2 repository on a server I think. Then the url is correct for
local and build system build.
There are many ways to create a p2 repository, using pde, tycho (<eclipse-repository> packaging), etc.
Then, as you said, you have to publish it to an http server, so that you can access it from multiple machines. (tycho does not, as of today, provide solutions to publish a p2 repo to an http server)
Post by Oliver Pfau
What is the benefit of using features?
A feature is a set of plugins, + you can define touchpoint actions on a plugin without modifying the plugin, from the feature
http://www.vogella.de/articles/EclipseFeatureProject/article.html

Anthony

Oliver Pfau
2011-10-31 15:43:19 UTC
Ok thanks...so I will publish it for a common url.

Gunnar Bråding
2011-11-01 11:41:12 UTC
Thanks for your reply!

That could be the way to do it, but it seems like a harder way than to just add the paths to the IDE, since they are known by maven anyway.
For a full build I would agree, but when having separate modules used by multiple builds, it gets clumsier.

For a vanilla maven project it would work, just by adding the referenced library path, so why wouldn't that be easy in this case too.
I am just trying to understand it, since this does not feel like the maven way. Mavens strength is to help out with dependencies, and suddenly m2e does not use the information that actually is there for the build-path.

Cheers,
-- Gunnar
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
You should rather use .target definitions http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.pde.doc.user/guide/tools/target_shared/new_target_wizard.htm
Once you set up a proper target platform definition, your eclipse workspace will be able to compile, and also, you can tell tycho to use this target definition http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Target_Platform
Anthony
<CPWRsig_04_11-03-2010.jpg>
Dahanne, Anthony
2011-11-01 14:30:01 UTC
Hi Gunnar,
Thing is, bundle resolution can be a bit more complex than manually adding jars to the classpath : an import package can be satisfied by multiple bundles, in multiple versions, etc... this is OSGi bundles we're talking about and as far as I know, PDE (which understands target definitions) is the only tool in Eclipse that resolves the correct classpath for Equinox based projects.
I recently asked whether or not m2e would be able to replace PDE in Eclipse IDE, and Igor answered that he tried but decided to stop the effort[1].
Dealing with target definitions, both understood by Eclipse IDE and Tycho is not that much of an effort (as long as your dependencies are exported via p2 repositories), and I don't think it is clumsy at all.
Regards,
Anthony

[1] : http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/tycho-user/msg01131.html

[...]

tycho-user mailing list
tycho-***@eclipse.org
Gunnar Bråding
2011-11-02 17:05:48 UTC
Hi!

I appreciate the complexity of it all. I am trying to get the full grasp of it all, and therefore extremely grateful for your explanations.
They help me tremendously.

My situation is that there are bundles and plugins that are not necessarily part of one target, but many targets. I want to be able to work on them without having to open up all the dependencies in Eclipse, and I want them to be able to resolve them through the "consider" feature, allowing them to be just installed in my local maven cache, and not uploaded.
Can that be done through targets? I haven't understood it that way before, but I might very well be missing something here.

Cheers,
-- Gunnar
Oberlies, Tobias
2011-11-16 12:39:35 UTC
Only if you define your Tycho target platform through a target file [1], you can get the same target platform in Eclipse. If you need the other mechanisms (in particular pomDependencies consider), you can first create a p2 repository from the POM dependencies, and reference that p2 repository from your main project.

Regards
Tobias

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php?title=Tycho/Target_Platform
Envoyé : 1 novembre 2011 07:41
À : Tycho user list
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
I am just trying to understand it, since this does not feel like the
maven way. Mavens strength is to help out with dependencies, and suddenly
m2e does not use the information that actually is there for the build-
path.
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
Cheers,
-- Gunnar
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
Once you set up a proper target platform definition, your eclipse
workspace will be able to compile, and also, you can tell tycho to use
this target definition http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Target_Platform
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
Anthony
<CPWRsig_04_11-03-2010.jpg>
Le contenu de ce courriel s'adresse au destinataire seulement. Il
contient de l'information pouvant être confidentielle. Vous ne devez ni le
copier ni l'utiliser ni le divulguer à qui que ce soit à moins que vous
soyez le destinataire ou une personne désignée autorisée. Si vous le
receviez par erreur, veuillez nous aviser immédiatement et le détruire.
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only.
It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named
addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or
disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us
immediately and then destroy it.
Envoyé : 28 octobre 2011 05:20
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
Would it be possible to automate such a process, just to help the
developer out?
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
Cheers,
-- Gunnar
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only.
It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named
addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or
disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us
immediately and then destroy it.
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
tycho-user mailing list
Gunnar Bråding
2011-11-21 13:50:47 UTC
Thanks.

Yes. The P2 repository way seems to be the best one to solve this.

On another note, while defining repositories we often use the scpexe: prefix to use the ssh extension of maven. When doing this in a
Tycho project I get errors (MalformedURLException). When looking at the code I notice that it does a uri = new URL(….) before verifying
that it is a P2 repository, which this was not. It would of course be nice to be able to use the SSH wagon even for p2's.

Cheers,
-- Gunnar
Envoyé : 1 novembre 2011 07:41
À : Tycho user list
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
I am just trying to understand it, since this does not feel like the
maven way. Mavens strength is to help out with dependencies, and suddenly
m2e does not use the information that actually is there for the build-
path.
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
Cheers,
-- Gunnar
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
Once you set up a proper target platform definition, your eclipse
workspace will be able to compile, and also, you can tell tycho to use
this target definition http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Target_Platform
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
Anthony
<CPWRsig_04_11-03-2010.jpg>
Envoyé : 28 octobre 2011 05:20
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
Would it be possible to automate such a process, just to help the
developer out?
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
Cheers,
-- Gunnar
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only.
It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named
addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or
disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us
immediately and then destroy it.
Post by Dahanne, Anthony
tycho-user mailing list
Gunnar Brading, Astrogator AB
***@astrogator.se , Rörstrandsgatan 30A, 113 40 STOCKHOLM
Cellphone +46 70 778 2 877, Office +46 8 5456 0010, Fax +46 8 5456 0011
Oberlies, Tobias
2011-11-21 15:06:45 UTC
While this should be theoretically possible, I believe this would be a larger change to both p2 and Tycho. You could try this, but I would recommend to do something smaller in Tycho and/or p2 first...

Regards
Tobias

[...]

tycho-***@eclipse.org<mailto:tycho-***@eclipse.org>

________________________________

[cid:***@01CCA867.9118C800]
Gunnar Brading, Astrogator AB
***@astrogator.se<mailto:***@astrogator.se> , Rörstrandsgatan 30A, 113 40 STOCKHOLM
Cellphone +46 70 778 2 877, Office +46 8 5456 0010, Fax +46 8 5456 0011
Gunnar Bråding
2011-11-21 16:00:27 UTC
Yes…

I agree with that. I was more pointing out the bug that a non-P2 repository using scpexe, generates an exception in the P2 resolver.

Cheers,
-- Gunnar
Oberlies, Tobias
2011-12-14 10:21:48 UTC
Do you have a full stack trace for this? Then, this should be easy to fix.

Regards
Tobias

[cid:***@01CCBA52.92220750]