tycho and maven prepare release
LE FEVRE FRANCOIS
2015-12-03 08:41:18 UTC
Dear Tycho user,

Could you provide me an example where using maven-release-plugin [1] with a
Tycho project?

How can I add also the Tycho version plugin [2] to work with it?

I have found this post [3] that describes the steps manually.

Thanks

Francois

[1]: http://maven.apache.org/maven-release/maven-release-plugin

[2]:
https://eclipse.org/tycho/sitedocs/tycho-release/tycho-versions-plugin/plugi
n-info.html

[3]: https://github.com/robovm/robovm-eclipse/wiki/Performing-a-release
Oliver Libutzki
2015-12-03 14:07:55 UTC
Hi Francois,

I'm interested in a solution as well. I have a multi module Maven architecture which contains pom-first and manifest-first projects. I would like to release (including tags and so on) it with one execution of the Maven Release Plugin.

Anyone out there who achieved this?

Kind regards
Oliver

Mikhail Kalkov
2015-12-04 10:27:26 UTC
Hi,

RoboVM instructions suggest using tycho-versions-plugin, which is actually
comparable to versions-maven-plugin and completely different from
maven-release-plugin. You can read about why it is preferable to use
versions-plugin instead of release-plugin here:
https://axelfontaine.com/blog/final-nail.html

That said, I've worked on a project that used maven-release-plugin to
release Eclipse projects, but it required writing several groovy scripts
that would update MANIFEST.MF, feature.xml and product.xml to be consistent
with pom.xml. It works, but I believe it is better to use
tycho-versions-plugin:set-versions along with scm:tag and deploy. There is
also https://github.com/inventage/version-tiger tool that can be used in
place of tycho-versions-plugin but I have never used it and don't know
about it's pros&cons.

Kind regards,
Mikhail Kalkov
------------------------------
Oliver Libutzki
2015-12-04 20:11:54 UTC
Hi Mikhail,

thanks for the hints. I have never heard of version-tiger so far, but it
looks promising...

Anyway, I found another solution which offers me the possibility to rely
on the maven-release-plugin:

1) Call tycho-versions-plugin:set-versions in order to update the OSGi
artifacts to the release version
2) Call scm:checkin in order to commit the modified files
3) Call release:prepare
4) Call tycho-versions-plugin:set-versions in order to update the OSGi
artifacts to the next snapshot/qualifier version
5) Call scm:checkin in order to commit the modified files

Unfortunately I have a couple of commits. If something goes wrong in
this chain, I have a messed status in my repository.

Kind regards
Oliver
Mikhail Kalkov
2015-12-05 12:23:07 UTC
Hi Oliver,

I'm glad that you got this working, but after rereading my answer I
realized I might have been unclear. Unreasonably many steps which create
noise and can go wrong, is exactly the reason I believe it is better to use
a versions plugin instead of the maven-release-plugin. This is also the
idea advocated by Axel in the article I linked. Out of curiosity, what is
the reason you've gone the release-plugin way?
Kind regards,
Mikhail Kalkov
Oliver Libutzki
2015-12-06 11:26:47 UTC
Hi Mikhail,

there are two reason why I am doing it this way which are mentioned
here:
http://maven.apache.org/maven-release/maven-release-plugin/examples/prepare-release.html

1) Check that there are no uncommitted changes in the sources
I need this feature as I would like to ensure that no
snapshot-dependencies are present.

2) Transform the SCM information in the POM to include the final
destination of the tag
The Release plugin modifies the scm information and replaces /trunk with
the url of my release tag. I guess that this is not part of scm:tag,
right? So do you know a solution for this.

If I could replace these two features of the Release plugin I would
build Tycho related releases without the Release plugin.

So any suggestions are highly appreciated :-)

Kind regards
Oliver

Btw. for the first feature I stumbled upon the Maven Enforcer Plugin
which might do this job as well.
https://maven.apache.org/enforcer/enforcer-rules/requireReleaseDeps.html
Any experiences?