tycho mirror goal and category.xml
j***@gmail.com
2016-06-16 13:00:29 UTC
Hi :)

I would like to mirror several public p2 repositories, host them with
tomcat and finally use them in a target to build my RCP application.

I read the documentation about the mirror goal of tycho extras plugin.
The pom is correct and the copy seems to work correctly but there is no
category.xml file downloaded from the original p2 repository. As a
consequence, I can't add these repositories to my target file in
Eclipse. The "Add Software site" wizard tells me that there are no
categorized items and if I uncheck the "group by category" checkbox, it
tells me that there are no items available.

I've used the Reficio p2 maven plugin to create my own p2 repository
with a few bundles. This plugin generates a category.xml file with the
following content:

<site>
<category-def name="all" label="Maven osgi-bundles"/>
<iu>
<category name="all"/>
<query>
<expression type="match">providedCapabilities.exists(p |
p.namespace == 'osgi.bundle')</expression>
</query>
</iu>
</site>

I tried to use this category.xml for the mirrored repositories but it
doesn't seems to work...

So how can I retrieve the category.xml for these repositories or is
there a way to create a default one?

Best regards :)
Brian de Alwis
2016-06-16 14:36:48 UTC
Save yourself some grief and just use Nexus with its p2 proxy support to proxy those repositories. There’s some details at:

http://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/reference/p2-sect-intro.html <http://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/reference/p2-sect-intro.html>

And there’s an example of setting up Nexus with the p2 plugins using docker at:

https://github.com/sonatype/docker-nexus/issues/9

The p2 bridge plugin adds the ability to grovel through artifacts for OSGi metadata and expose them as a generated p2 repository. There’s very little documentation about this, and Sonatype seems to have pulled the nexus-p2-bridge-plugin and nexus-p2-repository-plugin from their public github site. As I recall, you have to add the P2 Metadata Generator and P2 Aggregator Generator capabilities for each Maven repository, which then exposes the bundles found as a p2 repo at ‘http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/repositories/central/.meta/p2’

Brian.
Gary Long
2016-06-16 15:08:21 UTC
Hi Brian and thank you for your answer. I'm going to take a look at
Nexus :)

Just for my information, let's say I couldn't use Nexus, what would have
been the difficult solution?

Regards,

Gary
Jens Reimann
2016-06-16 15:22:50 UTC
Hi,

actually you could do the same with Eclipse Package Drone [1].

I does extract OSGi metadata and can build up a P2 or OSGi R5
repository. You can upload a fully zipped P2 repository, import from
Maven (Central), deploy with Maven/Gradle or upload your artifacts manually.

Jens

[1] https://eclipse.org/package-drone/
Post by j***@gmail.com
[...]
IBH SYSTEMS GmbH
D-85235 Pfaffenhofen an der Glonn
Läutenring 43
Geschäftsführer / CEO: Dr. Thomas Heitzig

Amtsgericht München
Handelsregister Nummer HRB 197959
USt ID: DE267945175

Office Munich
D 80992 München
Agnes-Pockels-Bogen 1
T +49 89 18 9 17 49 0

to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or pivileged
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
material from any computer.
Justin Georgeson
2016-06-16 15:26:45 UTC
A note about the P2 generator plugins, they don’t preserve p2.inf requirements with a platform filter (used for automatically installing relevant platform fragment when a consumer installs the host bundle). A defect was entered for it

https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/NEXUS-8054

which was closed as WONTFIX as P2 support is to be “rebuilt on CMA”.

Save yourself some grief and just use Nexus with its p2 proxy support to proxy those repositories. There’s some details at:

http://books.sonatype.com/nexus-book/reference/p2-sect-intro.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__books.sonatype.com_nexus-2Dbook_reference_p2-2Dsect-2Dintro.html&d=CwMFaQ&c=PskvixtEUDK7wuWU-tIg6oKuGYBRbrMXk2FZvF0UfTo&r=dLxYM3PBhAqFnkH7uKz_OVZL1uyui4QoEmBCjCmEiTk&m=44DdGBPrz_YG1WoAtIlMhoZWVG2FMQ2weBGDfItsaS8&s=eChuj5wfdFMqpVc8q98LO_KfHi9eWiwSANRKxbYhraU&e=>

And there’s an example of setting up Nexus with the p2 plugins using docker at:

https://github.com/sonatype/docker-nexus/issues/9<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_sonatype_docker-2Dnexus_issues_9&d=CwMFaQ&c=PskvixtEUDK7wuWU-tIg6oKuGYBRbrMXk2FZvF0UfTo&r=dLxYM3PBhAqFnkH7uKz_OVZL1uyui4QoEmBCjCmEiTk&m=44DdGBPrz_YG1WoAtIlMhoZWVG2FMQ2weBGDfItsaS8&s=1aKyoSvlInhpcFOi9KPIYDQGkF6Gf0rfJai0uXBKn4k&e=>

The p2 bridge plugin adds the ability to grovel through artifacts for OSGi metadata and expose them as a generated p2 repository. There’s very little documentation about this, and Sonatype seems to have pulled the nexus-p2-bridge-plugin and nexus-p2-repository-plugin from their public github site. As I recall, you have to add the P2 Metadata Generator and P2 Aggregator Generator capabilities for each Maven repository, which then exposes the bundles found as a p2 repo at ‘http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/repositories/central/.meta/p2<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__localhost-3A8081_nexus_content_repositories_central_.meta_p2&d=CwQFaQ&c=PskvixtEUDK7wuWU-tIg6oKuGYBRbrMXk2FZvF0UfTo&r=dLxYM3PBhAqFnkH7uKz_OVZL1uyui4QoEmBCjCmEiTk&m=44DdGBPrz_YG1WoAtIlMhoZWVG2FMQ2weBGDfItsaS8&s=wSSuie_FN-K2D5oUOs9akRR1nTzYIAY98nmuRuNstSs&e=>’

Brian.

This e-mail, including any attached files, may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution, or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.
Vadim Peretokin
2016-06-17 04:16:41 UTC
P2 support is not available in the next-gen Nexus 3 either and won't be, so I wouldn't build existing solutions on top of it. We've had major performance and stability issues using it in Nexus 2 as well. I've been checking out Package Drone for that exact reason (not with much success as of yet, but at least way more promising than Nexus).

<https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/NEXUS-8054>https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/NEXUS-8054

Important: This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error please notify the author immediately and delete all copies of this transmission.
Jens Reimann
2016-06-17 09:54:06 UTC
You read about this issue at [1]. It seems that the local installation
has some issues with Eclipse P2 and HTTPS. Which works in general but
not in this situation. So of anyone has an idea. I am glad to hear it.

Thanks

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/1735311/
*Sent:* Thursday, June 16, 2016 9:37 AM