Integrating OSGi bundles from Maven Central
Doug Schaefer
2014-06-20 15:17:15 UTC
Hey gang,

FreeMarker has OSGi'ed their jar file up on maven central. I'd like to integrate it into my tycho build, basically generating an eclipse-repository with it in it so I can use that repository as a target. Any suggestions on how I can fetch OSGi bundles from maven central?

Thanks,
Doug
Jeff MAURY
2014-06-20 15:27:36 UTC
I'm doing it with the help of Nexus that is able to expose any Maven2
repository as a P2 one, ie Central

Jeff

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 5:17 PM, Doug Schaefer <***@qnx.com> wrote:

> Hey gang,
>
> FreeMarker has OSGi'ed their jar file up on maven central. I'd like to
> integrate it into my tycho build, basically generating an
> eclipse-repository with it in it so I can use that repository as a target.
> Any suggestions on how I can fetch OSGi bundles from maven central?
>
> Thanks,
> Doug

Jeff MAURY

working and scaling.
- Bjarne Stroustrup

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury
Doug Schaefer
2014-06-20 15:32:16 UTC
Actually, all I had to do was add the dependency and then tell target-platform-configuration to consider pomDependencies. But that has led me to a problem with the freemarker MANIFEST where they some reason specified J2SE-1.6 as the execution environment and not JavaSE-1.6. :(

Doug.

________________________________
2014-06-20 16:32:08 UTC
If you use pomDependencies=consider, then don't forget that at
installation, you need to make the bundle available in a p2-friendly
way, or your installation will fail being unable to resolve freemarker.
I think the the "Eclipse Bundle Recipes" [1] project is about resolving
this general issue of consuming Maven bundles in the p2 world, and
vice-versa.
For JBoss Tools, we've created what we called "Locus" which is a site
that allows us to include OSGi bundle coming from Maven in a p2
repository that we can consume with Tycho and Eclipse later. See
https://github.com/jbosstools/jbosstools-locus/blob/master/site/pom.xml

HTH.

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/proposals/rt.ebr/
--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>
<http://twitter.com/mickaelistria>
Doug Schaefer
2014-06-20 16:37:56 UTC
Yup, that's exactly what I'm setting up. It looks like I'll have to do the pom first build for freemarker though since their manifest is broken. Also doing it for the ANTLR jar, so need to go there anyway. Love this resource, BTW:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/How_Tos/Dependency_on_pom-first_artifacts

It would be good to have a p2 repo like this at eclipse.org too as a modern Orbit, or something...

Thanks!
Doug.

________________________________

Lars Vogel
2014-08-13 21:59:20 UTC
Hi Doug,

I notified Daniel Dekany (current maintainer of FreeMarker) about the
incorrect data and asked him to fix it.

Best regards, Lars

Lars Vogel
2014-08-18 08:44:42 UTC
FYI, the OSGi meta-data ini Freemarker is fixed for version 2.3.21 which is
planned for this October.

Best regards, Lars

Doug Schaefer
2014-08-18 13:48:12 UTC
Thanks, Lars!

For now, I'm having great success with the two step bundle generation. I'm not sure what poeple are complaining about with it.

Doug.