Set root directory for p2 repository
Hannes Niederhausen
2011-06-06 09:39:33 UTC
Hi,

I want to create a p2 repository with maven, which contains the older versions.

Right now my update site structure is:

project
-- plugins
-- features
site.xml
artifacts.jar
content.jar
category.xml

When I update the site xml with a new version PDE just adds the new
version to the update site.

Using maven/tycho, the update site is created in the target directory.
Is there a way to convigure tycho, to store the files into the root
directory and only add the new features to the repository.

The only idea I have is moving the files in some sort of
post-processing but this would overwrite content.jar and
artifacts.jar.

Thanks in advance
Hannes
Alex Blewitt
2011-06-06 09:44:54 UTC
You can use the "mirror metadata" and "mirror artifacts" p2 scripts to take the output of a single build and merge it into a canonical master with older versions.

I wouldn't recommend using a single target directory for thus as cleaning it will throw away older versions.

Alex

Sent from my (old) iPhone

Hannes Niederhausen
2011-06-06 09:52:49 UTC
Hi Alex,

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Alex Blewitt <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can use the "mirror metadata" and "mirror artifacts" p2 scripts to take the output of a single build and merge it into a canonical master with older versions.

Is there a Tycho way to do this? Using the scripts will need a
installed eclipse instance, as far as I know, and I wanted to be able
to build just with maven.

regards
Hannes

Alex Blewitt
2011-06-06 10:05:19 UTC
On 6 Jun 2011, at 10:52, Hannes Niederhausen <***@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Alex Blewitt <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You can use the "mirror metadata" and "mirror artifacts" p2 scripts to take the output of a single build and merge it into a canonical master with older versions.
>
> Is there a Tycho way to do this? Using the scripts will need a
> installed eclipse instance, as far as I know, and I wanted to be able
> to build just with maven.

Don't know, but if not it's relatively easy to write a Maven plugin for tycho to do it.

If there isn't one, I'd be happy to put together a patch for tycho to do it in the near future.

Alex
Francisco Gortázar
2011-06-06 10:37:17 UTC
This is a script we run after build:

http://code.sidelab.es/projects/pascaline/repository/entry/ide/trunk/es.sidelab.pascaline-site/publish-snapshot.sh

<http://code.sidelab.es/projects/pascaline/repository/entry/ide/trunk/es.sidelab.pascaline-site/publish-snapshot.sh>But
as you said, you need an eclipse installation.

Patxi.

2011/6/6 Alex Blewitt <***@gmail.com>

> On 6 Jun 2011, at 10:52, Hannes Niederhausen <
> ***@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Alex,
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Alex Blewitt <***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> You can use the "mirror metadata" and "mirror artifacts" p2 scripts to
> take the output of a single build and merge it into a canonical master with
> older versions.
> >
> > Is there a Tycho way to do this? Using the scripts will need a
> > installed eclipse instance, as far as I know, and I wanted to be able
> > to build just with maven.
>
> Don't know, but if not it's relatively easy to write a Maven plugin for
> tycho to do it.
>
> If there isn't one, I'd be happy to put together a patch for tycho to do it
> in the near future.
>
> Alex

Departamento de Ciencias de la Computación
http://code.sidelab.es
http://www.optsicom.es
Hannes Niederhausen
2011-06-06 10:50:19 UTC
Hi,

Thanks for the script, but using an eclipse instance is no an option
for now. The headless build is for now only another option and not
mandatory for us, so
we can wait until the merge process is a part of tycho.

@Alex: Please provide the patch.

Thanks a lot guys
Hannes

Helle, Guillaume
2011-06-06 15:37:10 UTC
Hello,

I try to build my product using <packaging>eclipse-application</packaging>
In my product file I have this dependencies :
<plugin id="org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook" fragment="true"/>

And the build failed :
[INFO] [Software being installed: CEX 1.0.0, Missing requirement: CEX 1.0.0 requires 'org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook 0.0.0' but it could not be found]
[ERROR] Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core.ProvisionException: No solution found because the problem is unsatisfiable. -> [Help 1]
org.apache.maven.InternalErrorException: Internal error: java.lang.RuntimeException: org.eclipse.equinox.p2.core.ProvisionException: No solution found because the problem is unsatisfiable.
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:168)

So I have uploaded this artifact :
mvn install:install-file -Dfile=org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook_1.0.0.200905261348.jar -DgroupId=org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook -DartifactId=org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook -Dversion=1.0.0.200905261348 -Dpackaging=jar -DgeneratePom=true
and had dependencies in my pom:
<dependency>
<groupId>org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook</groupId>
<artifactId>org.eclipse.equinox.weaving.hook</artifactId>
<version>1.0.0.200905261348</version>
</dependency>
</dependencies>

But the build fails for the same reason...
Any idea?

Thx for your help!

Guillaume

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of the Capgemini Group. It is
intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to
read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message
Igor Fedorenko
2011-06-06 15:47:36 UTC
Do you have pomDependencies=consider as explained in [1]?

[1]
https://docs.sonatype.org/display/TYCHO/Dependency+on+pom-first+artifacts

--
Regards,
Igor

Helle, Guillaume
2011-06-06 19:31:35 UTC
Hooops...
Exact, it corrects the problem for this plugin but not for "target' plugins :
<plugin id="org.eclipse.core.filesystem.linux.x86" fragment="true"/>
<plugin id="org.eclipse.core.net.linux.x86" fragment="true"/>
<plugin id="org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86" fragment="true"/>

So why?
In my pom :
<plugin>
<groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
<artifactId>target-platform-configuration</artifactId>
<version>${tycho-version}</version>
<configuration>
<environments>
<environment>
<os>win32</os>
<ws>win32</ws>
<arch>x86</arch>
</environment>
<environment>
<os>linux</os>
<ws>gtk</ws>
<arch>x86</arch>
</environment>
</environments>
<resolver>p2</resolver>
<pomDependencies>consider</pomDependencies>
</configuration>
</plugin>

Guillaume

Alex Blewitt
2011-06-06 19:38:26 UTC
You are trying to build the linux fragment on Windows, and vice versa.

Copy this configuration into the fragments, except only list the environments for which the fragment is defined.

Alex

Helle, Guillaume
2011-06-06 19:49:26 UTC
Ok, for that i must have 2 products or 2 eclipse-application projects?

Guillaume

Helle, Guillaume
2011-06-06 15:50:59 UTC
Hello,

I am using Nexus Open Source version and i want store my artifacts build with Tycho but Nexus upload packaging has not Tycho packaging (eclipse-plugin, eclipse-application,...)
Is there a way for that?

In a general way : how to use Hudson and Nexus with Maven 3 and Tycho?

Igor Fedorenko
2011-06-06 15:53:31 UTC
There is no good way to do this at the moment. There are various
workarounds, but nothing I would recommend. We are looking for a proper
solution but don't have exact timeframe yet.

--
Regards,
Igor

Helle, Guillaume
2011-06-07 06:49:14 UTC
Ok, it's a bad news...

So I have other questions :
- Is Nexus Pro can store Tycho artifacts? ;-)
- If i want just use Tycho to build and package my released product but my Eclipse plugins are developed by a team, were artifacts can be stored? In a shared p2 repository? How to do that?

Thx for your help!

Guillaume

Helle, Guillaume
2011-06-10 14:06:15 UTC
Hello,

I try to build my Eclipse application & plugin with Hudson but I have this error :

ERROR: Echec ? la lecture des POMs
hudson.util.IOException2: remote file operation failed
at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:677)
at hudson.FilePath.act(FilePath.java:665)
at hudson.maven.MavenModuleSetBuild$RunnerImpl.parsePoms(MavenModuleSetBuild.java:531)
at hudson.maven.MavenModuleSetBuild$RunnerImpl.doRun(MavenModuleSetBuild.java:391)
at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractRunner.run(AbstractBuild.java:417)
at hudson.model.Run.run(Run.java:1176)
at hudson.maven.MavenModuleSetBuild.run(MavenModuleSetBuild.java:304)
at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:88)
at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:123)
Caused by: hudson.remoting.ProxyException: hudson.maven.MavenModuleSetBuild$MavenExecutionException: hudson.maven.MavenEmbedder$1: Cannot find layout implementation corresponding to: 'p2' for remote repository with id: 'galileo'. for project my.project:my.project.maven at /var/lib/hudson/workspace/Toulouse - MDF/trunk/my.project.maven/pom.xml
at hudson.maven.MavenModuleSetBuild$PomParser.invoke(MavenModuleSetBuild.java:881)
at hudson.maven.MavenModuleSetBuild$PomParser.invoke(MavenModuleSetBuild.java:786)
at hudson.FilePath$FileCallableWrapper.call(FilePath.java:2072)
at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:104)
at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:48)
at hudson.remoting.Request$2.run(Request.java:270)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:441)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
Caused by: hudson.remoting.ProxyException: hudson.maven.MavenEmbedder$1: Cannot find layout implementation corresponding to: 'p2' for remote repository with id: 'galileo'. for project my.project:my.project.maven at /var/lib/hudson/workspace/Toulouse - MDF/trunk/my.project.maven/pom.xml
at hudson.maven.MavenEmbedder.readProject(MavenEmbedder.java:336)
at hudson.maven.MavenModuleSetBuild$PomParser.invoke(MavenModuleSetBuild.java:861)
... 11 more
Caused by: hudson.remoting.ProxyException: org.apache.maven.project.InvalidProjectModelException: Cannot find layout implementation corresponding to: 'p2' for remote repository with id: 'galileo'. for project my.project:my.project.maven at /var/lib/hudson/workspace/Toulouse - MDF/trunk/my.project.maven/pom.xml
at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildInternal(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:886)
at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildFromSourceFileInternal(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:506)
at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.build(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:215)
at hudson.maven.MavenEmbedder.readProject(MavenEmbedder.java:334)
... 12 more
Caused by: hudson.remoting.ProxyException: org.apache.maven.artifact.InvalidRepositoryException: Cannot find layout implementation corresponding to: 'p2' for remote repository with id: 'galileo'.
at org.apache.maven.project.ProjectUtils.getRepositoryLayout(ProjectUtils.java:147)
at org.apache.maven.project.ProjectUtils.buildArtifactRepository(ProjectUtils.java:100)
at org.apache.maven.project.ProjectUtils.buildArtifactRepositories(ProjectUtils.java:56)
at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.processProjectLogic(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:1112)
at org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildInternal(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:878)
... 15 more
Caused by: hudson.remoting.ProxyException: org.codehaus.plexus.component.repository.exception.ComponentLookupException: Component descriptor cannot be found in the component repository: org.apache.maven.artifact.repository.layout.ArtifactRepositoryLayoutp2.
at org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.lookup(DefaultPlexusContainer.java:323)
at org.codehaus.plexus.DefaultPlexusContainer.lookup(DefaultPlexusContainer.java:440)
at org.apache.maven.project.ProjectUtils.getRepositoryLayout(ProjectUtils.java:143)
... 19 more
Finished: FAILURE

Can i build my project with Hudson/maven3/Tycho ?
(It works in command line...)

Thx for your help!

Guillaume Helle

Davy Meers
2011-06-10 14:32:07 UTC
Hello,
I am having a problem when exporting a product from a project with "eclipse-repository" packaging:the tycho-p2-publisher-plugin:publish-products goal produces the error "Error - 7 icon(s) not replaced in ... using ...".
This problem is probably related to https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/TYCHO-300.
Is this problem going to be fixed? Is there a work-around? (Since branding is important for us right know we cannot use tycho to export our product)
Kind regards,Meers Davy
Sandro Wyss
2011-06-10 14:37:45 UTC
Hallo Meers,

I don't think it's fixed yet. I've found a workaround for this by removing
the first "/" in the product definition (path to the .icon/.bmp files). To
be more specific:

First my icon was defined like this "/com.myapp.branding/myicon.ico".
I replaced it with "com.myapp.branding/myicon.ico".

This results in an warning in eclipse but produces the correct product when
building with tycho.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Sandro

Davy Meers
2011-06-10 15:22:16 UTC
Hello Sandro,
thank you for your fast response.
I tried removing the first "/", it didn't work for me.I still get the same error. (i also checked the exported product).
I will look further into this on tuesday by creating a small sample project and to some testing.
Cheers,Davy

motes motes
2011-06-14 07:39:06 UTC
Try to look at this post:

http://software.2206966.n2.nabble.com/How-to-apply-patch-no-launcher-icon-TYCHO-300-td6059641.html

I have setup an antrun task to copy the icons to the correct
destination during the compile phase:

<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<!-- Setting up multiple executions. See
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MANTRUN-86.
Sucks!! -->
<executions>
<execution>
<!-- Currently tycho does not understand launcher icon specification
the same way as PDE so a manual copy is necessary -->
<id>p2.copy.icons</id>
<phase>compile</phase>
<goals>
<goal>run</goal>
</goals>
<configuration>
<target name="p2.copy.icons: ${p2.copy.icons}" if="${p2.copy.icons}">
<copy
todir="${project.build.directory}/products/${project.groupId}.${project.artifactId}"
failonerror="true" file="application.ico" />
</target>
</configuration>
</execution>
</executions>
<dependencies>
<dependency>
<groupId>org.apache.ant</groupId>
<artifactId>ant-jsch</artifactId>
<version>${ant.jsch.version}</version>
</dependency>
</dependencies>
</plugin>

Davy Meers
2011-06-14 11:40:06 UTC
Hello,
Thank you for your solution.
I got it working by looking at https://github.com/jsievers/tycho-demo/blob/master/tychodemo.product/tychodemo.product (<ico path="../../../icons/alt_launcher.ico"/>), unfortunately then the launcher icon would not be replaced when exporting with PDE.
Copying the folder during the build is IMHO a better approach, but i prefer not to use ant when it isn't needed.In the end I used the maven resources plugin:

motes motes
2011-06-14 14:42:29 UTC
Thanks for the tip about using maven-resources-plugin instead, but I
cannot make it work. I have the icons folder in the root of my folder:

myproduct
| --> icons
| --> app.ico
| -- > myproduct.product
| -- > pom.xml

In the pom I have:

<plugin>
<artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
<executions>
<execution>
<id>copy-resources</id>
<!-- here the phase you need -->
<phase>validate</phase>
<goals>
<goal>copy-resources</goal>
</goals>
<configuration>
<outputDirectory>${project.build.directory}/products/${project.groupId}.${project.artifactId}</outputDirectory>
<resources>
<resource>
<directory>icons</directory>
</resource>
</resources>
</configuration>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>

I have also tried with:

<resource>
<directory>${basedir}/icons</directory>
</resource>

but the content (or the icons folder) never gets copied to the target
path specified in the outputDirectory tag. I have read the
documentation here:

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-resources-plugin/examples/copy-resources.html

but its more or less what you suggest. It will work if I specify
relative paths in the .product file like:

<launcher name="myApp">
<solaris/>
<win useIco="true">
<ico path="../../../icons/app.ico"/>
<bmp/>
</win>
</launcher>

But as a consequence it will not work with PDE build.

Mykola Nikishov
2011-06-14 16:44:18 UTC
On 06/14/2011 05:42 PM, motes motes wrote:

> Thanks for the tip about using maven-resources-plugin instead, but I
> cannot make it work. I have the icons folder in the root of my folder:
>
> myproduct
> | --> icons
> | --> app.ico
> | -- > myproduct.product
> | -- > pom.xml
>
> In the pom I have:
>
> <plugin>
> <artifactId>maven-resources-plugin</artifactId>
> <executions>
> <execution>
> <id>copy-resources</id>
> <!-- here the phase you need -->
> <phase>validate</phase>

It seems validate phase is too early, I would rather use
process-resources, generate-resources or even prepare-package phase. Try
to run 'mvn --debug' and check the log - it should contain a lot of details.

> <goals>
> <goal>copy-resources</goal>
> </goals>

[skip]

Mykola
Davy Meers
2011-06-14 17:09:40 UTC
You are right: it seems tycho does perform another clean after the validate phase.
The generate-resources phase happens after that clean. (This leaves me wondering how i managed to make it work with the validate phase)
Greetings,Davy

Davy Meers
2011-06-14 18:18:31 UTC
i did play some more with it:
it seems the maven-resources-plugin copies only the contents of the folder, not the folder itself.
Also, i misread the link you gave Mort gave me (http://software.2206966.n2.nabble.com/How-to-apply-patch-no-launcher-icon-TYCHO-300-td6059641.html); the tycho-p2-publisher-plugin uses "${project.build.directory}/products/${product-id}" (and not "${project.build.directory}/products/${project.groupId}.${project.artifactId}" as i used in a previous mail).
As an exercise i forked Jan Sievers tycho-demo project and adapted it: (It now uses the maven-resources-plugin instead of a tycho-specific path)https://github.com/mudelta/tycho-demo

From: ***@hotmail.com
To: tycho-***@eclipse.org
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 19:09:40 +0200

Danail Nachev
2011-06-11 13:19:54 UTC
The problem seems to be that Hudson is running Maven 2 instead of
Maven 3. Check your job configuration and hudson settings and make
sure that the job is executed with Maven 3.

I'm successfully building a project using Tycho/Maven 3/Hudson,
recently migrated to Jenkins.

motes motes
2011-06-08 07:43:28 UTC
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Hannes Niederhausen
<***@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to create a p2 repository with maven, which contains the older versions.
>
> Right now my update site structure is:
>
> project
> -- plugins
> -- features
> site.xml
> artifacts.jar
> content.jar
> category.xml
>
> When I update the site xml with a new version PDE just adds the new
> version to the update site.
>
> Using maven/tycho, the update site is created in the target directory.
> Is there a way to convigure tycho, to store the files into the root
> directory and only add the new features to the repository.
>
> The only idea I have is moving the files in some sort of
> post-processing but this would overwrite content.jar and
> artifacts.jar.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Hannes

Why not look into the FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher which can be
executed from tycho:

https://docs.sonatype.org/display/TYCHO/Tycho-extras+-+FeaturesAndBundlesPublisher

Its possible to specify the append option:

<configuration>
<compress>false</compress>
<append>true</append>
<!-- additional arguments example
<additionalArgs>-configs win32.win32.x86</additionalArgs>
-->
</configuration>

which adds the bundles/features to the existing repo - without wiping
existing bundles/features. Notice that the generated repo cannot be
seen from eclipse update manager (no categories are published). But
its a valid p2 repo when building with tycho.
Hannes Niederhausen
2011-06-08 09:54:42 UTC
Thanks,

but the goal is to build an update site for an eclipse plug-in, so the
repository must be visible for the eclipse update manager.

regards
Hannes

motes motes
2011-06-08 19:15:08 UTC
If you add the created p2 site as a directory on the target platform
the bundles are visible - bit of a hack though.

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Hannes Niederhausen
<***@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks,
>
> but the goal is to build an update site for an eclipse plug-in, so the
> repository must be visible for the eclipse update manager.
>
> regards
> Hannes
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 9:43 AM, motes motes <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:39 AM, Hannes Niederhausen
>> <***@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to create a p2 repository with maven, which contains the older versions.
>>>
>>> Right now my update site structure is:
>>>
>>> project
>>> -- plugins
>>> -- features