Specifying default perspective using .ini file?
motes motes
2011-11-08 10:44:06 UTC
I would like to specify the default perspective for my RCP application
which is build using the 'org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench' application -
I cannot modify the advisors.

In my product project I have added a plugin_customization.ini, added
it to the build.properties and created the following property for the
org.eclipse.core.runtime.products extension:

<property
name="preferenceCustomization"
value="plugin_customization.ini">
</property>

In the plugin_customization.ini file I have added this line:

org.eclipse.ui/defaultPerspectiveId=org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.ReportPerspective

which is a perspective located in:

org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.ide_2.6.1.v20100902.jar - my
application is build with all the necessary birt features.

I have also trid to add:

org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.ide/defaultPerspectiveId=org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.ReportPerspective

but its ígnored in the resulting application. Is it possible to
specify the default perspective or is this option ignored by tycho
(using 0.13).
Greg Amerson
2011-11-08 13:17:26 UTC
Make sure that in your plugin.xml that defines your product, you have this
property set:

<property
name="preferenceCustomization"
value="plugin_customization.ini">
</property>

Also in your product plugin make sure that the build.properties has the
plugin_customizations.ini file listed so it is built with the jar.
Liferay, Inc.
motes motes

Greg Amerson
2011-11-09 00:34:47 UTC
Sorry about that, I failed to read it good enough.

Another thing to check, is the resulting eclipse.ini or
<whatever-executable-name>.ini has the -product line propertly configured,
it should be pointing to your product plugin? Also can you check the
config.ini under the configuration folder and make sure that it has the
eclipse.product property set to your product plugin?
Liferay, Inc.
motes motes
2011-11-09 10:28:24 UTC
Yes that is also pointing to the correct product plugin. A much
simpler solution is to add the following arg to the Programs Arguments
in the product configuration:

-perspective <perspectiveID>

As a result a <whatever-executable-name>.ini file is created with the
above option and the perspectiveID is opened on startup.

Oberlies, Tobias
2011-11-14 14:51:29 UTC
IIRC, the demo RCP application which is created in the EclipseCon Tycho tutorial [1] creates a default perspective.

Regards
Tobias

[1] https://github.com/jsievers/tycho-demo/tree/master/exercises