Question about product materialization
Jeff MAURY
2012-02-16 20:58:09 UTC
Hello,

I have a product built with Tycho that was build with the product export
mojo. As it is deprecated, I switched to an eclipse-repository packaging
type and used the tycho-p2-director-plugin to build the product files
(through the materialize-products goal)
But it seems the eclipse.ini (or launcher.ini as I changed the name of the
launcher) is generated only for the MacOS distribution and does not
contains items from my product file (properties)
Is it a bug or am I missing something ?

Thanks
Jeff
--
Jeff MAURY

working and scaling.
- Bjarne Stroustrup

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury
Igor Fedorenko
2012-02-16 22:51:46 UTC
I think .product properties are expected to go in config.ini, no? In any
case, the behaviour should be consistent for all target environments, so
please provide a small standalone example with detailed description of
expected behaviour and we'll have a look.

--
Regards,
Igor
Jeff MAURY
2012-02-17 14:59:54 UTC
My fault, I didn't look at the config.ini. I was able to generate a
launcher.ini (vmargs for example).
Now the only difference I see is regarding the optional dependencies: I am
building an Xtext based product and Xtext has optional dependency on JDT.
With the ProductExportMojo, the generated stuff didn't had the JDK plugins
whereas now, I always see them even if I used the recommandation from
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Release_Notes/0.14

Regards
Jeff
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.**com <http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com>
http://www.twitter.com/**jeffmaury <http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury>

Igor Fedorenko
2012-02-17 15:10:28 UTC
This is likely because Xtext->JDT dependency is "optional/greedy" in
Xtext p2 metadata. This is how P2 3.7 and earlier used to treat optional
dependencies and the problem should go away once Xtext starts to use P2
3.8M2 or newer for their build. In the mean time, you may be able to
remove org.eclipse.jdt.* IUs from your RCP target platform using

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Target_Platform#Filtering

--
Regards,
Igor
Jeff MAURY
2012-02-17 16:42:05 UTC
I tried to remove org.eclipse.jdt.core using the filters parameters but my
build now fails:
https://gist.github.com/1854289

Regards
Jeff
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/**Target_Platform#Filtering<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Target_Platform#Filtering>
--
Regards,
Igor
Post by Jeff MAURY
My fault, I didn't look at the config.ini. I was able to generate a
launcher.ini (vmargs for example).
Now the only difference I see is regarding the optional dependencies: I
am building an Xtext based product and Xtext has optional dependency on JDT.
With the ProductExportMojo, the generated stuff didn't had the JDK
plugins whereas now, I always see them even if I used the recommandation
from http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/**Release_Notes/0.14<http://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Release_Notes/0.14>
Regards
Jeff

Igor Fedorenko
2012-02-17 16:47:30 UTC
Some of the bundles in your RCP appear to have "hard" dependencies on
the JDT. You need to trace them back to the direct dependencies of your
projects and find a way to get rid of them (or accept JDT to be a part
of the rcp).

--
Regards,
Igor
Post by Jeff MAURY
[...]
On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Igor Fedorenko
[...]
"Legacy code" often differs from its suggested alternative by
actually
Oberlies, Tobias
2012-02-17 17:16:40 UTC
The error message even gives you the path to the JDT bundle. You seem to be including the org.eclipse.xtext.ui feature in your own feature, and that feature includes things that require JDT.

Regards
Tobias
Jeff MAURY
2012-02-17 17:28:07 UTC
You are right, I have a dependency on org.eclipse.xtext.ui but it has an
optional dependency on org.eclipse.jdt.core.
I spent a whole day tuning my build so that the product exported with the
product export mojo was ok.
Since I changed to eclipse-repository, I am facing this issue.

Regards
Jeff

Oberlies, Tobias
2012-02-20 08:23:51 UTC
If the dependency is really optional, it should be possible to exclude it from the installed product. Otherwise, this is a bug.

Regards
Tobias

Jeff MAURY
2012-02-20 09:29:11 UTC
I will try to build a sample project with an optional dependency and see if
I have the same behaviour and open a bug if yes.

Regards
Jeff

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 9:23 AM, Oberlies, Tobias
Post by Oberlies, Tobias
If the dependency is really optional, it should be possible to exclude it
from the installed product. Otherwise, this is a bug.****
** **
Regards****
Tobias****