Problem about installMode="root"
lijiang
2014-11-20 13:41:40 UTC
hello eveyone,

we have built our Product with Tycho 0.20.0 , but met a problem by
updating the sub features. There are many issues about it in internet.
We have also resolved this problem by manually inserting '
installMode="root" ' into the product definition. But I have still two
questions:

Question 1:

Which eclipse version supports the 'installMode' directly in product
definition editor? We won't edit the file manually everytimes.

Google says from Luna M7. But we use the newest Luna SR1 (Build id:
20140925-1800) and it seems not to be supported. Do you know any
solutions?

Question 2:

We have released some old version products. They were built without '
installMode="root" '. How can they support the updating of sub features?
Can we configure the 'installMode' anywhere within the product? Or any
other solutions?

best regards

Jiang
Anton Tanasenko
2014-11-20 13:49:23 UTC
Support of installMode means that product definition editor will retain it
on consequent edits. Previously it removed them completely on save.
There is no UI for adding this attribute since this is a tycho specific
feature.

Features installed without this attribute become a hard dependency of the
root product feature.

> hello eveyone,
>
> we have built our Product with Tycho 0.20.0 , but met a problem by
> updating the sub features. There are many issues about it in internet. We
> have also resolved this problem by manually inserting ' installMode="root"
> ' into the product definition. But I have still two questions:
>
> Question 1:
> Which eclipse version supports the 'installMode' directly in product
> definition editor? We won't edit the file manually everytimes.
> Google says from Luna M7. But we use the newest Luna SR1 (Build id:
> 20140925-1800) and it seems not to be supported. Do you know any solutions?
>
> Question 2:
> We have released some old version products. They were built without '
> installMode="root" '. How can they support the updating of sub features?
> Can we configure the 'installMode' anywhere within the product? Or any
> other solutions?
>

> best regards
>
> Jiang

Regards,
Anton.
lijiang

Regards,Anton.
Anton Tanasenko
2014-11-20 14:36:20 UTC
Products built with features without installMode="root" will have a single
root product feature and all installed features will be dependencies of
this root feature.
In order to update any of the dependencies, one would need to update the
whole prooduct. I also struggled with this for some time and I didn't find
a good way to manage such configuration.

Before installMode="root" got implemented I used <product>.p2.inf which
basically achieves the same result:

requires.1.namespace = org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu
requires.1.name = org.eclipse.epp.package.jee.feature.feature.group
requires.1.range = [1.4.2, 2.0.0)

requires.2.namespace = org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu
requires.2.name =
com.tetrade.eclipse.plugins.easyshell.feature.feature.group
requires.2.range = [1.4.1, 2.0.0)

requires.3.namespace = org.eclipse.equinox.p2.iu
requires.3.name = org.eclipse.m2e.feature.feature.group
requires.3.range = [1.3.0, 2.0.0)

> @ anton
> What does "hard dependency" mean? Do you mean, that the old version
> products will never be supported by updating the sub features?
>
> ------------------------------
> From: ***@gmail.com
> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 15:49:23 +0200
> To: tycho-***@eclipse.org
> Subject: Re: [tycho-user] Problem about installMode="root"
>
> Support of installMode means that product definition editor will retain it
> on consequent edits. Previously it removed them completely on save.
> There is no UI for adding this attribute since this is a tycho specific
> feature.
>
> Features installed without this attribute become a hard dependency of the
> root product feature.

> hello eveyone,
>
> we have built our Product with Tycho 0.20.0 , but met a problem by
> updating the sub features. There are many issues about it in internet. We
> have also resolved this problem by manually inserting ' installMode="root"
> ' into the product definition. But I have still two questions:
>
> Question 1:
> Which eclipse version supports the 'installMode' directly in product
> definition editor? We won't edit the file manually everytimes.
> Google says from Luna M7. But we use the newest Luna SR1 (Build id:
> 20140925-1800) and it seems not to be supported. Do you know any solutions?
>
> Question 2:
> We have released some old version products. They were built without '
> installMode="root" '. How can they support the updating of sub features?
> Can we configure the 'installMode' anywhere within the product? Or any
> other solutions?
>

> best regards
>
> Jiang

> --
> Regards,
> Anton.

Regards,
Anton.
lijiang
2014-11-20 16:22:32 UTC
@antonThank you very much. I have tried your solution without 'installMode'. It works fine. 😊
regards

Regards,Anton.
lijiang
2014-11-21 09:38:35 UTC
@antonI find a problem about the solution with p2.inf. By this solution the sub features can be installed (I use directly the 'install new softwares' to install, eclipse says that it exists already and it will be updated). It works right, but the icon is only 'feature' icon insteadof 'update' icon.If I use 'Check for Updates', eclipse says 'no update were found'.
Did I something wrong?

From: ***@hotmail.com
To: tycho-***@eclipse.org
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 17:22:32 +0100

Regards,Anton.
Anton Tanasenko
2014-11-21 10:58:34 UTC
Can't help with that. From what I've observed, both approaches yield
identical results.

Regards,
Anton.
lijiang
2014-11-21 11:11:41 UTC
With this solution, the built product has only one root feature. My own feature doesn't appear on the root.Shoud I configure anything else ?

From: ***@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 12:58:34 +0200
To: tycho-***@eclipse.org

From: ***@hotmail.com
To: tycho-***@eclipse.org
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 17:22:32 +0100

Regards,Anton.
Aleksandar Toshovski
2014-11-20 18:52:42 UTC
On 20/11/14 14:49, Anton Tanasenko wrote:
> Support of installMode means that product definition editor will
> retain it on consequent edits. Previously it removed them completely
> on save.

Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers, Version: Luna Service Release 1
(4.4.1), Build id: 20140925-1800 still deletes the installMode when I
change the feature, but *Bug 429902*
<https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=429902> states, that it
is resolved.

> There is no UI for adding this attribute since this is a tycho
> specific feature.
>
> Features installed without this attribute become a hard dependency of
> the root product feature.

> <mailto:***@hotmail.com>>:
>
> hello eveyone,
>
> we have built our Product with Tycho 0.20.0 , but met a problem by
> updating the sub features. There are many issues about it in
> internet. We have also resolved this problem by manually
> inserting ' installMode="root" ' into the product definition. But
> I have still two questions:
>
> Question 1:
> Which eclipse version supports the 'installMode' directly in
> product definition editor? We won't edit the file manually everytimes.
> Google says from Luna M7. But we use the newest Luna SR1 (Build
> id: 20140925-1800) and it seems not to be supported. Do you know
> any solutions?
>
> Question 2:
> We have released some old version products. They were built
> without ' installMode="root" '. How can they support the updating
> of sub features? Can we configure the 'installMode' anywhere
> within the product? Or any other solutions?
>

> best regards
>
> Jiang

> --
> Regards,
> Anton.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards,
Aleksandar Toshovski

abas <http://www.abas-software.com> ISO 9001
<http://www.abas-software.com/en/abas-erp_iso-certification.htm>BITMi
Software Made in Germany
<http://www.abas-software.com/en/news/13/eng_abas-erp_made-in-germany.htm>

*Dipl.-Inf Aleksandar Toshovski | Software Entwicklung *
abas Software AG | Gartenstraße 67 | 76135 Karlsruhe | Germany
Phone: +49(0)721-96723-0 | Fax: +49(0)721-96723-100
Web: http://www.abas-software.com | http://www.abas.de

Follow us:

Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/abasERP>Become a fan on
facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/abas-Business-Software-ERP-PPC-MRP-eBusiness/69427274995>Join
our group on LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/companies/abas-software-ag>Subscribe to our
YouTube channel <http://www.youtube.com/user/abasBusinessSoftware>Xing
<https://www.xing.com/companies/abassoftwareag>

Key Factors for Successful ERP Projects
<http://www.abas.de/en/factors-of-success.htm>

Board of Directors / Vorstand: Michael Baier, Jürgen Nöding, Mario
Raatz, Werner Strub
Chairman Board of Directors / Vorstandsvorsitzender: Werner Strub
Chairman Supervisory Board / Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Udo Stößer
Registered Office / Sitz der Gesellschaft: Karlsruhe
Commercial Register / Handelsregister: HRB 107644 Amtsgericht Mannheim
Anton Tanasenko
2014-11-20 19:10:21 UTC
I cannot reproduce the problem with a freshly unpacked 20140925-1800.
My steps are as follows:
1. Create 'test.product' product configuration
2. Configure it to use features
3. Add any available feature under dependencies tab and save
4. Open file with text editor and add an installMode="root" to the feature
and save
5. Open file again with product configuration editor
6. Change version of existing feature (remove it), add another feature and
save.
Examining text content shows that installMode attribute is retained.

Anton.
lijiang
2014-11-21 09:25:47 UTC
@anton @ aleksandar
I have found the reason:
Before step 4. the product configuration editor must be closed. If not, step 5 will use the old product configuration editor. When you change somethings and save it, the "installMode" will disappear.

From: ***@gmail.com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 21:10:21 +0200
To: tycho-***@eclipse.org

wrote:

Support of installMode means that product
definition editor will retain it on consequent edits. Previously
it removed them completely on save.

Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers, Version: Luna Service Release 1
(4.4.1), Build id: 20140925-1800 still deletes the installMode when
I change the feature, but

Bug 429902
states, that it is resolved.

Regards,Anton.
Jeff MAURY
2014-11-20 13:50:02 UTC
In order to be independant from the Eclipse version (as my product should
be compatible with versions from 3.5), I added a new step after the product
repository has been produced: this step will install the features as root
features in the just produced repository

Jeff

lijiang

Jeff MAURY
2014-11-20 14:14:20 UTC
You need to use the tycho-eclipserun-plugin in order to run
the org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director application.
Here is my arguments:

<appArgLine>-consoleLog -application org.eclipse.equinox.p2.director
-nosplash -repository "${project.baseUri}/target/repository" -destination
"${project.build.directory}/products/my.product/win32/win32/x86"
-installIUs ${features}</appArgLine>

The ${features} is a comma separate list of features to install. You must
repeat this step for each platform you product is generated for.

Regards
Jeff

lijiang