repository set in child pom is not being considered
Cristiano Gavião
2013-03-06 15:46:39 UTC
Hello,

I'm facing a problem that a p2 repository added in a child pom is not
being considered by tycho.

Using m2e to see the effective pom I can see all of them ( some set in
<repository>
<id>ecfview</id>
<url>http://lun.lunifera.org/downloads/p2/ecview/nightly/</url>
<layout>p2</layout>
</repository>
<repository>
<id>eclipse.p2</id>
<url>http://download.eclipse.org/releases/kepler</url>
<layout>p2</layout>
</repository>
Could someone explain me the reason?

thanks

Cristiano
Cristiano Gavião
2013-03-06 18:41:20 UTC
I forgot to say that I have a hierarchy of POMs.
I have one Corporate POM, some System POMs and lot of module POMs.
The POM where I've set the ignored repository is a System POM that
inheriting from the Master Corporate POM.

please, could someone give any help?
Post by Cristiano Gavião
Hello,
I'm facing a problem that a p2 repository added in a child pom is not
being considered by tycho.
Using m2e to see the effective pom I can see all of them ( some set in
<repository>
<id>ecfview</id>
<url>http://lun.lunifera.org/**downloads/p2/ecview/nightly/<http://lun.lunifera.org/downloads/p2/ecview/nightly/>
</**url>
<layout>p2</layout>
</repository>
<repository>
<id>eclipse.p2</id>
<url>http://download.eclipse.**org/releases/kepler<http://download.eclipse.org/releases/kepler>
"Tudo vale a pena se a alma não é pequena..."
Cristiano Gavião
2013-03-06 18:58:28 UTC
Well,

We discover the problem. We were setting the repository in the aggregator
pom instead the parent pom.

:-/

regards,

Cristiano
Wim Jongman
Cohen, Tamar (ARC-TI)[Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies Inc. (SGT Inc.)]
2013-06-06 15:20:07 UTC
Hi all--

I'm trying to set up separate pom files within each plugin / feature project to just build that plugin. I'm having trouble with the name of the output jar not including the timestamp of the build.
SNAPSHOT remains in the name. I have not found a good answer for this on the internet.

For example, com.ardor3d.0.9.17-SNAPSHOT.jar; within the manifest the version is Bundle-Version: 0.9.17.201306060343

I have tried changing it as follows:
<version>0.9.17.${maven.build.timestamp}</version> which causes problems with the osgi and maven versions not matching.:
[WARNING] 'version' contains an expression but should be a constant. @ gov.nasa:com.ardor3d:0.9.17.${maven.build.timestamp}, /hosts/strangelove/export/home/tecohen/verve_rapid_gri_2013/com.ardor3d/pom.xml, line 7, column 12
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.eclipse.tycho:tycho-packaging-plugin:0.18.0:validate-version (default-validate-version) on project com.ardor3d: OSGi version 0.9.17.qualifier in META-INF/MANIFEST.MF does not match Maven version 0.9.17.201306060817 in pom.xml

Here is my pom.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd" xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"
<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
<groupId>gov.nasa</groupId>
<artifactId>com.ardor3d</artifactId>
<version>0.9.17-SNAPSHOT</version>
<packaging>eclipse-plugin</packaging>
<properties>
<tycho-version>0.16.0</tycho-version>
<project.reporting.outputDirectory>reporting</project.reporting.outputDirectory>
<project.build.outputDirectory>output</project.build.outputDirectory>
<maven.build.timestamp.format>yyyyMMddHHmm</maven.build.timestamp.format>
</properties>
<repositories>
<repository>
<id>indigo</id>
<layout>p2</layout>
<url>http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo</url>
</repository>
</repositories>
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
<artifactId>tycho-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>0.18.0</version>
<extensions>true</extensions>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
</project>

Thanks!

Tamar
Igor Fedorenko
2013-06-06 15:31:34 UTC
This is expected. Generally, don't worry about file names under target/
directory, bundles and features will get conventional names when included
in eclipse-repository or update site

--
Regards,
Igor

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Cohen, Tamar (ARC-TI)[Stinger Ghaffarian
Post by Cohen, Tamar (ARC-TI)[Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies Inc. (SGT Inc.)]
2013-06-06 15:35:51 UTC
Ok — I see that now, when I look at my maven build output for building rcp products. My idea is to have the separate plugins (we have probably 1000 or so) build individually and go to an artifact repository; is the "correct" way to rely on the bundling of the rcp to replace the –SNAPSHOT with the correct version?

Thanks for your prompt response! It's good to be working on getting all of NASA's Eclipse plugin developers using Maven.

Tamar

From: Igor Fedorenko <***@sonatype.com<mailto:***@sonatype.com>>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 10:31:34 -0500
To: Tycho user list <tycho-***@eclipse.org<mailto:tycho-***@eclipse.org>>
Subject: Re: [tycho-user] SNAPSHOT is not being replaced with timestamp in name of jar

xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"<http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance%22>>
<url>http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo</url><http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo%3C/url%3E>

Tamar
Igor Fedorenko
2013-06-06 16:34:32 UTC
There is currently no good way to consume large number of Eclipse
plugins from a Maven repository, nor there is a good way deploy plugins
to an "updatable" p2 repository. We made few attempts to make this
possible in the past, but all of them failed for various reasons. I am
not sure what other projects do, but I aggregate my plugins in a p2
repository and upload new repository to a place accessible over http
during each build.

--
Regards,
Igor

2013-07-08 18:42:37 UTC
I wanted to share with the group my current pom to update the timestamp of the built plugin to match the version. I am not particularly happy with it and really think that having a way to build a plugin separate from a feature or product and have a valid / matching build qualifier timestamp and packaging is a good / required feature.

Should I file a bug report to start an Official Discussion on it? I can't be the only one who wants to build a standalone plugin with a version timestamp that matches the one in the MANIFEST.MF.

My real version # of the plugin in this case is 0.9.17.qualifier

In my pom, I break apart the version into a base version (0.9.17) and use -SNAPSHOT.
I then initialize a timestamp property in the correct timezone and format, and then I use ant to copy the snapshot jar to one with the matching timestamp.

I would much rather just set something in the tycho configuration which would specify that I want to populate the versions in my jar & MANIFEST the same way.

Thanks for your feedback / help. Any links to existing discussions about versions and timestamps would be appreciated.

Tamar Cohen

here is my pom:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project
xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd"
xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
<groupId>com.ardor3d.math</groupId>
<artifactId>com.ardor3d.math</artifactId>
<properties>
<baseversion>0.9.17</baseversion>
<tycho-version>0.18.0</tycho-version>
<maven.build.timestamp.format>yyyyMMddHHmm</maven.build.timestamp.format>
</properties>
<packaging>eclipse-plugin</packaging>
<version>${baseversion}-SNAPSHOT</version>
<repositories>
<repository>
<id>kepler</id>
<layout>p2</layout>
<url>http://download.eclipse.org/releases/kepler</url>
</repository>
</repositories>
<build>
<plugins>
<plugin>
<groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
<artifactId>build-helper-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>1.8</version>
<executions>
<execution>
<id>timestamp-property</id>
<phase>initialize</phase>
<goals>
<goal>timestamp-property</goal>
</goals>
<configuration>
<name>htimestamp</name>
<timeZone>UTC</timeZone>
<pattern>yyyyMMddHHmm</pattern>
</configuration>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>
<plugin>
<groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
<artifactId>tycho-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>${tycho-version}</version>
<extensions>true</extensions>
<configuration>
<strictVersions>false</strictVersions>
</configuration>
</plugin>
<plugin>
<version>1.6</version>
<executions>
<execution>
<id>package</id>
<phase>package</phase>
<configuration>
<target>
<copy file="target/${project.artifactId}-${project.version}.jar"
tofile="target/${project.artifactId}_${baseversion}.${htimestamp}.jar" />
</target>
</configuration>
<goals>
<goal>run</goal>
</goals>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>
</plugins>
</build>
</project>

Oberlies, Tobias
2013-07-09 14:31:23 UTC
Did you try setting finalName to ${project.artifactId}-${unqualifiedVersion}.{buildQualifier}

This seems to do what you want to achieve.
Regards
Tobias

2013-07-09 16:08:21 UTC
How exactly should I be implementing this? When I try it it seems to do nothing. When I use it for the source plugin, it does rename the jar but leaves -sources at the end.
I have tried several configurations. Where should I find documentation and examples using finalName for building just a plugin, with no parent pom?
buildQualifier also is not defined.

<plugin>
<groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
<artifactId>tycho-maven-plugin</artifactId>
<version>${tycho-version}</version>
<extensions>true</extensions>
<configuration>
<finalName> ${project.artifactId}_${baseversion}.{buildQualifier}</finalName>

2013-07-09 21:47:14 UTC
Eureka! I've figured out how to get it to work for a feature:

<plugin>
<groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
<artifactId>tycho-packaging-plugin</artifactId>
<executions>
<execution>
<phase>package</phase>
<id>package-feature</id>
<goals>
<goal>package-feature</goal>
</goals>
<configuration>
<finalName>${project.artifactId}_${unqualifiedVersion}.${buildQualifier}</finalName>

2013-07-09 22:58:54 UTC
I'm still having an issue where the name of the jar for a source build of a plugin has -sources.jar at the end of it. Is there a way to get rid of that without renaming it in ant?
pom for source plugin:
<plugin>
<groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
<artifactId>tycho-source-plugin</artifactId>
<version>${tycho-version}</version>
<executions>
<execution>
<id>plugin-source</id>
<goals>
<goal>plugin-source</goal>
</goals>
<configuration>
<finalName>${project.artifactId}.source_${unqualifiedVersion}.${buildQualifier}</finalName>
</configuration>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>

here is the solution for a plugin:
<plugin>
<groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
<artifactId>tycho-packaging-plugin</artifactId>
<version>${tycho-version}</version>
<executions>
<execution>
<phase>package</phase>
<id>package-plugin</id>
<goals>
<goal>package-plugin</goal>
</goals>
<configuration>
<finalName>${project.artifactId}_${unqualifiedVersion}.${buildQualifier}</finalName>
</configuration>
</execution>
</executions>
</plugin>

here is the solution for a p2 site:
<plugin>
<groupId>org.eclipse.tycho</groupId>
<artifactId>tycho-p2-repository-plugin</artifactId>
<version>${tycho-version}</version>
<inherited>true</inherited>
<executions>
<execution>
<phase>package</phase>
<id>archive-repository</id>
<goals>
<goal>archive-repository</goal>

2013-06-07 17:59:22 UTC
Again, I'm working on automating our maven/tycho builds with Bamboo.
I have manually run the build with success. I am on maven 3, and I have
confirmed the Bamboo build server can reach the p2 update site.

When I set up a bamboo maven job, I get the following errors:

WARNING: Error injecting:
org.eclipse.tycho.p2.resolver.P2TargetPlatformResolver
com.google.inject.ProvisionException: Guice provision errors:

1) Error notifying InjectionListener
***@959fa1 of
org.eclipse.tycho.p2.resolver.P2TargetPlatformResolver.
Reason: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.IllegalStateException:
Service is not registered class='interface
org.eclipse.tycho.core.facade.ProxyServiceFacade'
while locating org.eclipse.tycho.p2.resolver.P2TargetPlatformResolver

1 error
at
com.google.inject.internal.InjectorImpl$4.get(InjectorImpl.java:977)

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.IllegalStateException:
Service is not registered class='interface
org.eclipse.tycho.core.facade.ProxyServiceFacade'
at
org.eclipse.sisu.equinox.embedder.internal.DefaultEquinoxEmbedder.checkStar
ted(DefaultEquinoxEmbedder.java:301)

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Service is not registered
class='interface org.eclipse.tycho.core.facade.ProxyServiceFacade'
at
org.eclipse.sisu.equinox.embedder.internal.DefaultEquinoxEmbedder.getServic
e(DefaultEquinoxEmbedder.java:291)

Pom is here:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd"
xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0"
<modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
<groupId>gov.nasa</groupId>
<artifactId>com.ardor3d</artifactId>
<version>0.9.17</version>
<packaging>eclipse-plugin</packaging>
<properties>
<tycho-version>0.16.0</tycho-version>
<project.reporting.outputDirectory>reporting</project.reporting.outputDire
ctory>
<project.build.outputDirectory>output</project.build.outputDirectory>

<maven.build.timestamp.format>yyyyMMddHHmm</maven.build.timestamp.format>
</properties>
<repositories>
<repository>
<id>indigo</id>
<layout>p2</layout>
<url>http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo</url>
</repository>
</repositories>
<distributionManagement>
<repository>
<id>Ensemble Artifactory</id>
<name>Ensemble Artifactory-releases</name>

<url>https://ensemble.jpl.nasa.gov/artifactory/plugins-release-local</url>
</repository>
</distributionManagement>

Tamar
Cohen, Tamar (ARC-TI)[Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies Inc. (SGT Inc.)]
2013-06-07 18:58:32 UTC
Ah it seems it was a maven configuration problem ...a different maven
install worked.

On 6/7/13 10:59 AM, "Cohen, Tamar (ARC-TI)[Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies
Jeff MAURY
2013-06-10 08:16:57 UTC
I see something strange in your POM. You're installing Tycho 0.18.0 as a
Maven extension but you're defining 0.16.0 for tycho-version. If this
property is used in another place, it's likely you will get in trouble.

Jeff

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM, Cohen, Tamar (ARC-TI)[Stinger Ghaffarian

working and scaling.
- Bjarne Stroustrup

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury
Cohen, Tamar (ARC-TI)[Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies Inc. (SGT Inc.)]
2013-06-10 16:50:54 UTC
Ah great find — I've corrected that and it's using the tycho-version variable now.
thanks

From: Jeff MAURY <***@jeffmaury.com<mailto:***@jeffmaury.com>>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 03:16:57 -0500
To: Tycho user list <tycho-***@eclipse.org<mailto:tycho-***@eclipse.org>>
Subject: Re: [tycho-user] Bamboo->Maven build of plugin is failing

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 8:58 PM, Cohen, Tamar (ARC-TI)[Stinger Ghaffarian Technologies Inc. (SGT Inc.)] <***@nasa.gov<mailto:***@nasa.gov>> wrote:
[...]

"Legacy code" often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling.