Subproject produces "eclipse-repository" packaging, but Eclipse instance fails to install referenced plugin
David M. Karr
2016-02-12 17:33:31 UTC
I inherited a largish Eclipse plugin codebase
(https://github.com/davidmichaelkarr/yang-ide), and the original authors
deployed the resulting Tycho-built update site to a public site
(http://dl.xored.com/yang/releases), and installing the plugin from
there works fine.

Maven says that the entire tree builds successfully. I can successfully
test the plugin by launching a test instance, loading the associated
plugins.

Now I'm attempting to install the built update site in an existing
Eclipse instance. I've tried defining the update site in Eclipse by
selecting the "update-site/target/<basename>.zip" from the "Archive"
button, and also "update-site/target/repository" from the "Local" button.

When I select this update site in "Install New Software", I'm able to
select the one feature, then click "Finish" on the "Install Details"
page, but the next page always reports this:
--------------------
An error occurred during the
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.CheckTrust phase.
session context was:(profile=_home_opnfv_eclipse_java-neon_eclipse,
phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.CheckTrust,
operand=, action=).
Error reading signed content.
error in opening zip file
----------------------

The other curious, and perhaps telling, symptom is that on the "Install
Details" page, when it lists the plugins to be installed, there is a
block below which has a "Size:" label. This says "0 bytes". I don't
know what this indicates, if anything.

I'm not familiar with the required structure of an update site, so I
don't know what might be wrong. Maven doesn't complain when it builds
this module.

What else can I look at to diagnose this?
Sievers, Jan
2016-02-15 09:10:01 UTC
looks like some signed content was corrupted.
This could be either your bundles/features (if you happen to sign them) or external dependencies of it.

Check the eclipse error log if there are any details about which file is corrupted.
You may also try to mirror your p2 repo [1], this should validate it (possibly in debug mode using -X maven CLI switch).

Regards
Jan

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Additional_Tools#mirror_goal
Sievers, Jan
2016-02-15 09:28:22 UTC
might also be a corrupted mirror.

clean the bundle pool in .metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool and disable use of mirrors [1]

Jan

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/HiddenOptions
David M. Karr
2016-02-15 15:26:53 UTC
Can you be more specific about exactly what "clean the bundle pool"
means? Do you mean to delete the contents of ".bundle_pool", delete the
directory itself, or what?
David M. Karr
David M. Karr
2016-02-15 14:50:58 UTC
Someone gave me a comment on my StackOverflow posting
(http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35345656/unable-to-install-locally-built-eclipse-plugin-get-error-reading-signed-conten),
saying that he looked at the code in question in the stacktrace, and it
didn't look like it was a problem with signed content. I'm certainly
not attempting to sign anything.

Concerning the "p2 mirroring" concept", I don't understand the point of
this.

The stacktrace in the log doesn't indicate what file it was:
-------------------------
!ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 4 2016-02-10 18:22:49.495
!MESSAGE An error occurred during the
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.CheckTrust phase.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 0 2016-02-10 18:22:49.495
!MESSAGE session context
was:(profile=_home_opnfv_eclipse_java-neon_eclipse,
phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.CheckTrust,
operand=, action=).
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine 4 0 2016-02-10 18:22:49.495
!MESSAGE Error reading signed content.
!STACK 0
java.util.zip.ZipException: error in opening zip file
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:219)
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:149)
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:163)
at
org.eclipse.osgi.internal.signedcontent.SignedBundleHook.getSignedContent(SignedBundleHook.java:209)
at
org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.CertificateChecker.checkCertificates(CertificateChecker.java:73)
-----------------

This wasn't the entire stacktrace, but nothing past this indicated the
file name.
David M. Karr
2016-02-17 17:48:30 UTC
By connecting a debugger to the target eclipse instance, I was able to
determine that this was caused by a handful of corrupted jars in my
$HOME/.p2 repo. I've submitted an enhancement request to add the full
path of the corrupted zip file to the exception. I now need to know the
exact surgery I need to make to the corrupted jars in $HOME/.p2 to fix
this. I would guess that I would just delete them and let Eclipse
redownload them, but I'm not going to guess on this. I've asked that
question in my original PDE forum post, but does anyone know the answer
to that question?
Tom Bryan (tombry)

David M. Karr
2016-02-17 18:03:37 UTC
Post by Tom Bryan (tombry)
You're talking JARs under Eclipse's $HOME/.p2/pool/plugins/ folder, right?
Not files under Maven's $HOME/.m2/repository/ folder?
Yes. For instance,
"$HOME/.p2/pool/plugins/org.eclipse.emf.mapping_2.9.0.v20160201-0859.jar",
which was the first of the five corrupted jar files, all of which begin
with "org.eclipse.emf" (although not all the jars that start with that
were corrupted).
Post by Tom Bryan (tombry)
---Tom
Tom Bryan (tombry)
2016-02-17 18:26:56 UTC
OK. No idea. My Tycho builds are run on Linux for Luna-based projects.
In that case, Tycho 0.24.0 "installs" plug-ins and features that I create
under ~/.m2/ and caches plug-ins that it downloads from remote p2
repositories in
.m2/repository/org/eclipse/tycho/tycho-bundles-external/0.24.0/eclipse/plug
ins/. I'm able to delete the entire .m2/repository/ folder or any
specific folder under there, and future Tycho build will simply
reinstall/redownload artifacts based on my pom.xml and the associated
MANIFEST.MF, feature.xml, and product files.

In my case, there's no .p2 directory anywhere, so I'm not sure how Eclipse
or Tycho uses that folder. I wuld have thought that .p2/pool/ was for
features and plug-ins that you've installed yourself via Eclipse (Help >
Install New Software..., etc.). In that case, I'd uninstall/reinstall
them from Eclipse itself.

---Tom
Post by David M. Karr
Post by Tom Bryan (tombry)
You're talking JARs under Eclipse's $HOME/.p2/pool/plugins/ folder, right?
Not files under Maven's $HOME/.m2/repository/ folder?
Yes. For instance,
"$HOME/.p2/pool/plugins/org.eclipse.emf.mapping_2.9.0.v20160201-0859.jar",
which was the first of the five corrupted jar files, all of which begin
with "org.eclipse.emf" (although not all the jars that start with that
were corrupted).
Post by Tom Bryan (tombry)
---Tom
David M. Karr
2016-02-19 16:21:37 UTC
To close the loop on this, Eike Stepper pointed me to the "bundle pool"
analysis feature in Oomph, which can be reached both from Preferences
and from the "Advanced Mode" of the new installer. This automatically
finds the corrupted jars and provides a magic (from my POV) action to
repair them.

I also filed a bug for the original exception message, which didn't
report the path to the corrupted archive, and the fix for it was
enthusiastically checked in the very same day (committer apparently had
been hit by the same message multiple times).
Post by David M. Karr
Post by Tom Bryan (tombry)
You're talking JARs under Eclipse's $HOME/.p2/pool/plugins/ folder, right?
Not files under Maven's $HOME/.m2/repository/ folder?
Yes. For instance,
"$HOME/.p2/pool/plugins/org.eclipse.emf.mapping_2.9.0.v20160201-0859.jar",
which was the first of the five corrupted jar files, all of which begin
with "org.eclipse.emf" (although not all the jars that start with that
were corrupted).
Post by Tom Bryan (tombry)
---Tom